Tuesday, June 2, 2015

….The Times They Are A' Changin'!

…some small yunomi destined for the Watershed Center for Ceramic Art's Salad Days Invitational.

So…….. in a recent turn of events, I am pleased to announce that I will begin a new tacking position this fall as an Assistant Professor of Ceramics at Jacksonville State University, in Jacksonville, AL.  I must admit, it came as a bit of a surprise, but I am excited to be joining a really dynamic little art department in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, about an hour outside of Birmingham and an hour and a half from Atlanta.  

Of course, I have a lot of mixed feelings about leaving New Orleans, which has been my home for the past 10 years, along with the friends and loved ones who are like family to me.  The miracle that is Google Maps suggests that I can make the drive in around 6 hours, but any human with any bit of weight on their right foot and a decent amount of caffeine can do it in 5 1/2 …(maybe slightly less).
I bring this up because, at least for the first semester or so, I plan to be in New Orleans a lot, if not every weekend.  There are some loose ends I need to tie up here, studio wise, and my partner of 6 years and her cat will be staying in the city, at least for the immediate future, due to a recent new job.  It would seem that Timing is never quite right when it comes to the important things!

I'm also going to terribly miss my students at Delgado Community College!…Maybe, someday, one of them will stumble across this post. If they do, I want everyone to know how much I truly loved working with all of you!  This was my favorite teaching job ever but, unfortunately, I'll soon be forty (I know, right?! When did that happen?!), the opportunity for full- time employment teaching ceramics has to be my priority.  I'm not going to talk about this anymore, less I cry on my keyboard….No one wants that :)

But, like I mentioned, I'll be "commuting" back and forth and a nearly weekly basis, so long as my car and my back hold out, and I'm easy to get in touch with.  I'll also be keeping my studio space in New Orleans, at least till the beginning of 2016.  Mostly because no one wants to move out of a tin roof attic studio during the summer months in New Orleans….and, because I'm a softy and get very sentimental about leaving it.  Currently, there are three other young ceramic artists sharing space up there, and I hope that they will continue to do so…..I'd hate to see the place empty!

I'm also going to be leaving some work up there so, if anyone happens to come to New Orleans for a visit and might be interested in some hand thrown porcelain pots at significantly reduced prices, send me an email. :)


These last few pots are also from a recent firing.  They're slated to be packed and shipped up to Maine for the Invitational Pottery Sale that happens on July 11th during the Salad Days fundraiser at the Watershed Center for Ceramic Arts.  If you've never been to Watershed, you really should!


….sugary celadon tea bowl.

See you in July!



……pale green celadon tea bowl.


No comments:

Post a Comment